Have you ever received an email like this one?? —
This is Anthony Smith. I will like to order for 6 big Bouquets Flowers For My Son Wedding and i want the price range of $150 per Each. the colors should be in Red,Orange,Yellow in Roses Flower and Mixed with other Flower in Clear Glass Vases..The bouquets flowers will be Use in Wedding Receptions Table Center.I Give you information you need,So get back to me with the Total Cost
It will be pick up by a private shipper on the 24th of April by 10am or 12pm clock, so can i have the total cost now so that i can forward my Credit Card to you as Payment.Get back to me with the 6 Total cost so that i can forward my Credit to you as Payment,
Note: Am presently recuperating from the diagnosis of lung cancer am so we will have to communicate via email or text due to my health.I dont check my Email every time,So i want you to text me the Total Cost of the Order Text: 334 245 4115
The above email is a scam!
I just received this one this past week and it was a reminder to me about this ongoing scam that so many florists receive in their email inboxes. I thought everyone knew this was a scam, but recently I’ve seen in various florist forums where people think this is a real request. I’m so thankful that for their sake they asked in a forum and so many other florists stepped up and told them it is a scam!
I’m not completely sure how it works. I’ve heard that they send you a check and you cash the check, then they ask for a partial refund and you send back the money before their check clears – of course, their check bounces. I’ve also heard they send a check for more than the amount due, so you send back a check for the overpaid funds and, again, their check bounces.
If anyone knows exactly how the money transfer scam works, please do share it with us in the comments section.
Signs it is a scam
- Poor Grammar and Spelling, extremely broken English
- Almost always a man ordering flowers for a son or nephew’s wedding. How many times in real life, in North America do you have a man ordering wedding flowers for a nephew’s wedding?! never.
- Almost always $150 or $250 per arrangement
- Usually includes the height measurements needed
- Typically wants either 5 or 6 arrangements
- Always going to pick up by a private shipper/courier. — really?!
- Recuperating from illness and cannot talk on the phone, email and text only